Friday, January 11, 2008

First post: Backtracking through a fashionistas life

GRANDMA'S VINTAGE FASHION AND DRAMA

PinkMySTYLE.com co-owner Princess Grace is one jet setter (Europe trips at least 2x a year and a wonderful British sweetie to boot) with a heart of gold and passion for life and love. She will regularly post about her travels, love for clothes and anything pretty, and whatever else tickles her prissy toes. As long as she keeps it entertaining she can post and tickle to her heart's content!

Let’s face it: Fashion is everywhere. It starts even when we were still tots.


I was dressed by my mother with the cutest layette outfits. There is a picture of me in a pink floral dress with matching bow and my feet were covered by adorable baby Mary Jane shoes. Even my three month old godson is in style. He received a Juicy Couture outfit and Ju-Ju-Be diaper bags for his mom Frenchi plus for this little future soccer player: the original England Fifa shoes for infants from his fairest godmother of them all.


Ju-Ju-Be Bag Prints - Shop www.ju-ju-be.com


Looking back, it was my fashionable grandmother who had always insisted to doll me up for Sunday church and who has been my fashion guru. At age five, I was wearing a sailor-inspired navy blue dress and the prettiest white sandals. But too bad for me there was no trip to the Nantucket!


I then started taking ballet lessons as a little girl which probably explains my obsession with ballet flats! Not only do they make walking feel like air walking, they are so dainty and will always be in style.

Prada Ballet Shoes - Shop www.PinkMySTYLE.com



My love for fashion became clearer when, at age nine, I played dress up with my cousins at my grandmother’s house. Even if my feet were still a bit small for her rosette adorned sandals I wanted to fell pretty and wore her polka dot dress along with her Louis Vuitton French bag on hand.


While others played dress up as Disney princesses, I wanted to look like I was ready to nail a photo shoot. I know, what in the world was I doing in my grandma's closet when I should had been into stamp collecting and reading Sweet Valley Twins like my other friends!


For most people having wide feet is a nightmare. Not for me, I was happy to fit like Cinderella in her glass slippers in grandma’s Gucci loafers. I’d rather slip into them than my reliable Ked sneakers or the year’s “IT” shoes like the old school K-Swiss.



K-Swiss


Since I attended an all girls school, I got my first runway experience. We had modeling for a cause to raise funds and I happily volunteered to model one of those party dresses. But honestly the fabric was itchy! Attending an all girls’ school was like being in an Emily Post finishing school. Beautiful rich girls wearing Ferragamo shoes and headbands. Jelly shoes were also a hit and even designer handbags...on 14 year old girls!


I remember we had sewing classes using the most dinosaur-ish machines and, worst, we had to model our handmade projects at term’s end! A confession: I had our maid buy my final “project” in a local swap meet. Ha!


Oh and then came the most awaited night: Prom night! It was like Paris Fashion Week minus the escargot…from the most extravagant princess ball gowns, to the sexiest cocktail dresses down to Miss Universe-ish gowns.


During that same year, the movie “Clueless” became a big hit, not only for the “Whatever” or “As if” quotes but the fashion. At one birthday party, I wore a Clueless Cher inspired tweed skirt with vest and pointy mules with kitten heels completed the getup. When others thought it was a tad too much my friend Mimi loved. It was gutsy. That was the beginning of my fashion revolution. I’m sure deep inside those girls were alligator green with envy because I pulled it off. My grandmother was right after all, it is better to overdress than to be under-dressed. This still resonates every time I do not know what to wear in an occasion.

What high school girl didn't wanna be Cher in her Alaia?



Through the years of traveling (I will talk about my travels more at a later time) to my home away from home London where Oxford street meets high street fashion, and having tea in Harrods is an experience...to the streets of Milan where gorgeous girls strut designer clothes like Giselle Bundchen walking the Victoria Secret runway...to the unparalleled fashionable city Paris: the hub haute couture where using UGGS boots can be a faux pas…fashion is just really everywhere. No matter who you are, how big or small you are, or whoever your favorite designer is, fashion is definitely here to stay….

No comments: